Nutrition Program Assistant
Hauppauge · Full-time Position
The Long Island Association for AIDS Care, Inc. is looking for a Nutrition Program Assistant to assist and support the day-to-day functions of the Nutrition Health Education (NHE) Program and distribute frozen meals and/or pantry bags to NHE Program clients.
- Engages in Community Coordination Activities; ensures program clients are adherent to medical care, undergo nutritional assessment bi-annually, and provides follow-up on referrals for community services.
- Tracks and documents client program participation, including attendance at Nutrition Health Education Sessions, distribution of Food and Meal Services, and Community Coordination Activities.
- Assists the Community Nutrition Educator (CNE) with conducting Nutrition Health Education sessions with program clients.
- Receives and unpacks monthly food deliveries.
- Conducts regular pantry inspections.
- Maintains pantry, including pantry sanitation, monitoring freezer and refrigerator temperatures, inventory rotations, and food ordering when necessary.
- Assembles pantry bags for distribution.
- Compiles statistical data and, in conjunction with the CNE, develops narrative for monthly and annual reporting purposes.
- Contacts program clients to schedule NHE meetings
- Drives cargo van, in accordance with New York State traffic laws, to make deliveries of pantry bags to assigned clients’ homes throughout Suffolk Counties.
- Prepares the cargo van for food deliveries, ensuring all food is delivered in accordance with Program, as well as State and Local Department of Health’s safe food handling practices, policies and procedures.
- Ensure the integrity of perishable food items by maintaining a log that indicates the temperature of the meals at the time of pick up, at the time of delivery, and when returning frozen meals to the agency after unsuccessful deliveries.
- Maintain the agency’s designated cargo van by ensuring it contains adequate gas and wiper fluid on a daily basis and completing a van checklist upon completion of each delivery route.
- Maintain, in conjunction with the Facilities Manager, a log to ensure the agency’s designated cargo van receives routine care, including but not limited to oil changes and cleaning.
- Conduct targeted outreach initiatives to recruit new clients and raise awareness among local providers regarding the Nutrition program.
- Provide coverage for the agency hotline, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Associate’s in health or human services field required; 1+ years’ experience working with HIV/AIDS/chronic illness; Must have a clean, regular New York State Class D Driver’s License and be familiar with community resources and referrals; Must be able to engage in occasional heavy lifting; Good interpersonal, communication and computer skills; Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
To be considered for this position, submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.